Monday, January 5, 2009

Makeup Tip Week, Tip #1: Smudge-proof Mascara

To ring in the new year (yay 2009!), I thought I'd do something new and have a week of makeup tips here on my blog. I know, I know. Pretty hilarious coming from someone who hardly ever wears makeup, right? I know. But that's not to say I don't have anything helpful to bring to the table when it comes to makeup advice. If anything, this will probably be very helpful to those who are just starting out with makeup.

First up is smudge-proofing your mascara.


This is something I know a lot of people have problems with, even those around me who have worn makeup much longer than I. Fortunately, this is also something that I found a way to deal with recently.

Even before I had renewed my interest in makeup, whenever I'd go out, one thing I'd do was put on a little mascara. I'd purchase products based on empty promises (stuff won't budge no matter what, or so it said), only to look in the mirror a few hours later and have a raccoon staring back at me. I wasn't crying, and I wasn't sweating or anything, but the damn mascara just wouldn't stay put. So, why? WHY?!?!

Not everyone has problems with mascara, but let me tell you who does. Oily-skin folks. And mascara can be waterproof, but it most likely will never be oil-proof (or else we'd never be able to get the stuff off). The bad part? Your face doesn't even need to be producing any major oil slicks for mascara to rub off. Just a little bit around the eyelids, and BAM! Hello, raccoon eyes!

So, now that we know this, how do we deal with it? Lucky for us, it's actually pretty simple: Powder. Any brand will do, but I would, however, look for something that is geared towards "shine control". My current product of choice is Urban Decay's De-Slick Mattifying Powder (available online and at your local Ulta and Sephora).

It's translucent, so it won't affect the colors of my makeup, and it does a pretty good job at keeping the oil at bay. Also, the compact is perfect to carry around for touch-ups throughout the day/night. But, like I said, any powder will do.

Now, how to apply? Easy. Apply powder generously under your eyes, focusing especially on the area just under your lower lashes (the blue-shaded area under the eye in the image below).


The end.

I usually go about it two different ways. I'll either grab a medium-sized brush (like a blush brush, or even a powder brush) and apply a good amount of powder under my eyes. Otherwise, I'll use an eyeshadow brush to apply the powder, so that I can concentrate specifically under the lower lash area. I usually do my eye makeup first, so that I don't mess up my foundation with any loose shadow, etc., but will save the mascara and the powder-under-the-eyes thing until the very end. Really, though, you can apply the powder before or after you apply your mascara (although, I'd do it before, as the powder will also help with fixing any mistakes, should you accidentally get some mascara on that area), but definitely do it AFTER you apply your face makeup (foundation, concealer, etc.).

Et voilà! Smudge-proof mascara. I can even wear the non-waterproof formulas now! Yay!

OTHER TIPS

No comments:

Labels

cosmetics (51) deals (29) discounts (29) online shopping (29) reference (17) tips (13) videos (12) skin care (10) youtube (10) mac (8) travel (8) humor (7) limited collection (7) sephora (7) budget-friendly (6) drugstore (6) life (6) new york (6) politics (6) tutorials (6) ebates (5) environment (5) health (5) natural (5) organic (5) cellphones (4) chicago (4) coupons (4) diy (4) inspirational (4) prescriptives (4) shu uemura (4) urban decay (4) awareness (3) economy (3) food (3) happy new year (3) iPhone (3) korean (3) review (3) samsung (3) technology (3) too faced (3) antibacterial (2) belli (2) benefit (2) caveat emptor (2) cleansing oil (2) clinique (2) cooking (2) eatyourkimchi (2) estee lauder (2) foundation (2) glen ivy (2) hard candy (2) jojoba oil (2) kpop (2) lipstick (2) nyx (2) photography (2) revlon (2) sanrio (2) ulta (2) update (2) video games (2) 2014 (1) 2016 (1) amazon (1) animal crossing (1) barbie (1) bare minerals (1) bb cream (1) best buy (1) black friday (1) blogging (1) blush (1) bobbi brown (1) butter (1) cancer (1) candlemaking (1) cetaphil (1) cherry culture (1) clarisonic (1) contouring (1) covergirl (1) cruises (1) documentary (1) dr. bronners (1) ebay (1) elf (1) entertainment (1) etude house (1) eyeshadow (1) florida (1) ghee (1) halloween (1) happy holidays (1) ifttt (1) jane (1) jem and the holograms (1) jungsaemmool (1) korres (1) lancome (1) lauren luke (1) lush (1) macy's (1) mascara (1) merry christmas (1) movies (1) nars (1) new york color (1) new york times (1) origins (1) outlets (1) paleo (1) panacea81 (1) pink ribbons (1) primer (1) recipes (1) shoes (1) smurfs (1) spa (1) stila (1) vaseline (1) vegetarian (1) walmart (1) wii fit (1)