Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Double Take: CoverGirl Eyeshadow


Oh my God! Am I hallucinating???

After watching xteeener's tutorial for the blue smokey eye, I felt inspired, so off I went to my neighborhood Target. My main objective was to see if I could magically find a Wii Fit (yeah right), but the CoverGirl Eye Enhancers 4-kit Eyeshadow in "Tropical Fusion" (the same one xteeener used in her tutorial) was at a very close #2 on my list.

I won't lie. I had some doubts when I went to make my purchase. I've never really had very good luck with eyeshadows from the mainstream drugstore brands. In my experience, they've been pretty hard to work with and gave off little color. Seriously, it was like running your finger along cement, with about as much product coming off.

When I started rebuilding my makeup collection last summer (this was after a major purge of all of my old makeup, most of which I had around since high school... :-/ ), I tried to start with some of the cheaper stuff and tried a couple products from Maybelline and Rimmel. ... After I deemed them to be duds, I decided to hit up the quality, luxury brands. Better to spend more money on quality and be happy than to save a few pennies and complain about what you bought, right? Right then and there, I swore off major brand, drugstore cosmetics for good.

Anyway, so, here I am the other day watching this video, and I notice that the girl is getting some MAJOR color off of that CoverGirl eyeshadow pan. So, I buy it, and I go to test it out... W O W !!! I can't believe it! I remember trying CoverGirl in high school, but I have absolutely no memory of the eyeshadow being this soft and smooth! I swatched the blue on my hand, and the color payoff was great! It was totally true to the pan! I even did xteeener's blue smokey eye and put it through my cosmetics endurance test (me working out with makeup on), and I'm happy to report that the color was still there, even with all the sweating. I'm sure the eyeshadow primer I used helped a little as well, but still!

Did CoverGirl change its eyeshadow formula (they do refer to it as being "new"), or did I just get lucky? ... Whatever the case may be, it has piqued my interest and has given me new faith in inexpensive, drugstore cosmetics. I will definitely be giving CoverGirl a second chance.

No comments:

Labels

cosmetics (51) deals (29) discounts (29) online shopping (29) reference (17) tips (13) videos (12) skin care (10) youtube (10) mac (8) travel (8) humor (7) limited collection (7) sephora (7) budget-friendly (6) drugstore (6) life (6) new york (6) politics (6) tutorials (6) ebates (5) environment (5) health (5) natural (5) organic (5) cellphones (4) chicago (4) coupons (4) diy (4) inspirational (4) prescriptives (4) shu uemura (4) urban decay (4) awareness (3) economy (3) food (3) happy new year (3) iPhone (3) korean (3) review (3) samsung (3) technology (3) too faced (3) antibacterial (2) belli (2) benefit (2) caveat emptor (2) cleansing oil (2) clinique (2) cooking (2) eatyourkimchi (2) estee lauder (2) foundation (2) glen ivy (2) hard candy (2) jojoba oil (2) kpop (2) lipstick (2) nyx (2) photography (2) revlon (2) sanrio (2) ulta (2) update (2) video games (2) 2014 (1) 2016 (1) amazon (1) animal crossing (1) barbie (1) bare minerals (1) bb cream (1) best buy (1) black friday (1) blogging (1) blush (1) bobbi brown (1) butter (1) cancer (1) candlemaking (1) cetaphil (1) cherry culture (1) clarisonic (1) contouring (1) covergirl (1) cruises (1) documentary (1) dr. bronners (1) ebay (1) elf (1) entertainment (1) etude house (1) eyeshadow (1) florida (1) ghee (1) halloween (1) happy holidays (1) ifttt (1) jane (1) jem and the holograms (1) jungsaemmool (1) korres (1) lancome (1) lauren luke (1) lush (1) macy's (1) mascara (1) merry christmas (1) movies (1) nars (1) new york color (1) new york times (1) origins (1) outlets (1) paleo (1) panacea81 (1) pink ribbons (1) primer (1) recipes (1) shoes (1) smurfs (1) spa (1) stila (1) vaseline (1) vegetarian (1) walmart (1) wii fit (1)